3 cups (or 2 15-ounce/425g cans) of beans, I use kidney beans but you could also use pinto, black beans or navy beans if that’s what you have on hand.
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 jalapeno, diced (optional or add more for more heat)
1 Green Bell pepper, chopped
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
3 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 Tbs lime juice
4 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
2 whole Bay leaves
Salat and pepper to taste
1 cup (12g) cilantro leaves and tender stems, chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
- Heat a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, and add the onions. Stir frequently and cook the onions until they start to become translucent.
- Add the garlic, green pepper, jalapeño, and tomato paste, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring very frequently, If it starts to dry out, add a splash of vegetable broth.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, paprika, and oregano and stir for half a minute or so.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, and beans, bay leaves, soy sauce, tomatoes + their juices, salt, black pepper to taste, and stir well.
- Bring the chili to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick, discard the bay leaf, and stir in lime juice, and cilantro.
- Serve topped with your choice/s of chopped cilantro, sliced scallions, vegan sour cream, avocado slices, sour cream, tortilla chips, etc.