Tuscan Vegetable StewCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
2 cups sliced button or crimini mushrooms
1 Bell pepper, chopped
1 medium zucchini chopped
1 bunch Tuscan kale
1 large onion diced
4 garlic cloves minced or crushed
1 medium sweet potato cubed
2 cans (15 oz each) cannellini beans (white kidney) or butter beans
2 medium-large vegan sausages, broken up into small bite-size bits *optional
1 14 oz diced tomatoes
1 156 ml can tomato paste
1 small handful of fresh Italian parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
A pinch of red pepper flakes – or more if you like more heat
1 Bay leaf
2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tablespoon fresh basil, torn into little pieces
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large (5-6 quart) pot or dutch oven, saute mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, sausage and sweet potato over medium for about 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally, and adding water a tablespoon or two at a time to keep the veggies from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients except for basil, zucchini and kale, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes.
- Add basil, kale and zucchini and cook for another 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes and zucchini are both tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf
- Garnish with fresh parsley or basil, and serve with crusty bread, or over pasta, or stuffed with rice and baked in a whole bell pepper!
- This is also very tasty with black olives in it!