Carrot Ginger Chickpea Burgers
1 2/3 cups cooked (or 1 15-ounce can) chickpeas
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup bread crumbs
4 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup chives, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 burger buns
Condiments of your choice – shown above with spicy mayo, scallion sour cream, and pickled daikon radish
4 Tbs olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a frying pan, over medium-low heat
- Add garlic and sauté for about 30-40 seconds, or until fragrant
- Add carrots and ginger, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Remove carrot mixture from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor pulse 2/3 of the chickpeas with rice, breadcrumbs, flax or chia “eggs” until it forms a paste
- add remaining chickpeas, chives, salt & pepper, and the carrot mixture, and pulse just a few seconds until loosely combined but not pureed.
- Divide the mixture into four equal parts and form them into patties
- Heat remaining Tbs of olive oil in the frying pan, on medium, and cook the burgers until golden brown and warm on the inside, about 4-5 minutes per side.