Stuffed Eggplant RollsCourse: Blog, Main Dishes, Recipes, vegan recipes
1 large eggplant
170 grams vegan mozzerella
1/2 cup vegan ricotta
70 grams vegan feta
1 tablespoon of fresh oregano (or 1/2 that dried)
I handful of torn fresh basil
3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
3 cups tomato sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Trim the eggplant and cut lengthwise into slices thin enough to be bendy so you can roll them. About 1/4 inch thick. Spread the slices out on a cookie sheet or cutting board and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sweat for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl mix together half the mozzarella, all of the feta, and all of the ricotta, with the oregano, basil, salt and pepper, and breadcrumbs.
- Heat a grill (or pan) to medium-high, Pat the eggplant slices dry with paper towels and brush very lightly with olive oil. Grill the slices until charred (if using a grill) and tender, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Pour the tomato sauce evenly into the bottom of a casserole dish. An 8×10 or 9×12 should suffice.
- Eye your filling and divide loosely into as many portions as you have eggplant slices. Spoon filling onto the short end of a slice and roll the eggplant to secure the filling inside. Place each roll into the casserole dish, seam side down. They should be secure and snuggly nestled together, but not squashed.
- Lay remaining mozzarella slices on top of the rolls, drizzle with a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper and bake until the cheese has melted, the filling is hot, and the sauce is bubbling for about 30 minutes. Allow to sit and rest a few minutes before serving. Serve alone, or on a bed of pasta.