Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cold Guinness Stout
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Whiskey Ganache Filling
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2/3 cup heavy vegan cream
2 Tbsp vegan butter, room temperature
2 tsp Irish whiskey
- Baileys Frosting
1 cup vegan butter
1 cup vegan shortening
5 cups powdered sugar
6 Tbsp almond milk based Bailey’s Irish Cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- In a large measuring jug, mix together all liquid ingredients except for the vinegar.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Add the vinegar and stir until even distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour into muffin cups in a lightly greased and floured muffin tin and bake 12-18 minutes, depending on your oven, or until they pass the toothpick test
Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once cupcakes are cooled completely, using a paring knife, cut the centres out of the cupcakes, going about 2/3 deep.
- Ganache filling
- Place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
- Bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepan and immediately pour over the chocolate.
- Let it sit a few minutes before whisking it together.
- Add the butter and whiskey and stir until combined.
- Set aside to cool only until thick but still soft enough to be piped.
- Scoop, spoon or pipe the ganache in equal parts, into the centres of each of the cupcakes.
- Baileys Frosting
- In a mixer, whip the butter and shortening for about 5 minutes.
- On medium-low, whisk in the sugar completely.
- Add Bailey’s and who on high about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate.