Vegan Irish StewCourse: Holidays, vegan recipes, Vegetarian Holiday
3 Cups (ish) chopped Veggie “Beef” or Seitan
2 Tablespoons Vegetable or Olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 large stalk Celery
2 medium carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4-cm) pieces
1/2 cup dried pearl barley
3 cups Vegetable Broth or Water
1 341ml bottle of *Guiness Extra Stout
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
6 potatoes, cubed
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Seasoning: any or a combination of the following, Salt, freshly ground Black Pepper, Spike, Marmite, Bragg etc…
- Heat the pot over medium-high heat and add the oil, onion, carrots and celery. Saute a few minutes, until onions are tender and becoming translucent.
- Add the barley and potatoes to the pot. Stir to coat, about 1 minute or two.
- Add veggie “beef” and stir to coat.
- Add vegetable broth, stout, bay leaf, thyme and seasoning.
- Bring the stew to a boil then immediately down to a simmer. Cover and cook for about an hour.