Crispy Steamed Dumplings
I am listing (and giving a rough estimate of quantity of) the vegetables that I used for my dumplings but they weren’t intentional. I used what I had in the house, that I thought might taste good in a dumpling, and you can do the same. If I had to guess, it probably totalled to about 4-5 cups of veg before cooking.
2 cups chopped mushrooms. I used enoki, shiitake, and grey oyster mushrooms because that’s what I had on hand, but you can use any mushroom you like – if you like mushrooms 🙂
1 cup cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, grated fine
1 cup mung bean sprouts
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 pkg wonton/dumpling wrappers (or15-20 handmade)
Sriracha or other chilli sauce
1 Tbs vegetable or olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbs fresh grated (or 1 tsp dried) ginger
- Dippin Sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 teapoons Chinese chile garlic sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Warm 1 Tbs olive oil and the sesame oil in a large pan or wok
- Add scallions, garlic, ginger, and cabbage and sauté until the cabbage starts to become tender
- Add mushrooms, bean sprouts, and shredded carrot, soy sauce, chilli sauce and rice vinegar, and continue cooking on medium low until the mushrooms are well cooked. Set aside.
- One at a time, wet the edges of a dumpling edges (with a wet finger dipped in water) and add a heaping tablespoon of vegetable filling to the centre. Gently pinch the edges together to seal. You can make them in half moon shapes or little packages, or whatever shape you like, as long as the edges are well sealed so filling doesn’t escape during cooking.
- Place dumplings in a well oiled large cast iron pan, or non-stick frying pan on high heat. Add 1/2 cup of water and cover with a lid or cookie sheet or whatever you have that is large enough to keep too much of the steam from escaping from the pan, and cook until the water has evaporated. Uncover and allow the dumplings to fry until the bottoms are crispy and golden brown.
- Dipping sauce
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and serve