Lavender SconesCourse: Miscellaneous
225 g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
60 g (1/4 cup) plant-based butter ( I used Earth Balance)
1 tablespoon sugar
Equivalent of 1 egg, beaten
150 ml (2/3 of a cup) plant-based milk
1 tablespoon organic lavender flowers
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F
- Dust a baking sheet lightly with flour.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder & salt and rub or cut (with a pastry cutter or two butter knives) the butter in with the flour until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add sugar.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour, and pour in the liquid. Mix into a soft dough with your hands.
- Sprinkle in the lavender flowers and knead into the dough very lightly until just combined.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured board & cut out scone rounds with a cutter, drinking glass, cup or jar.
Brush the scones with the beaten egg replacer, and sprinkle a few lavender flowers on top.
- Bake for 1o – 12 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.