Sourdough BreadCourse: Bread, Vegan Baking
500g unbleached white flour
225g spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
A very healthy pinch of salt
- Pour water into a large bowl, then add 1/3 starter (floating starter is a good sign – it means lots of active bacteria), flours and salt. Mix with a spoon, then dump it on the counter and gently knead by hand just until it holds its shape. It will be mildly sticky and form a loose ball. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a large bowl and cover with a kitchen towel, then after 1 hour knead again – don’t add flour to the kneading surface. Put dough back into your large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and then put it aside, or into the fridge if your kitchen is quite warm or you’re letting it sit longer than the recommended 6-9 hours.
Pre-heat oven to 420F with 2 large, high-sided Dutch ovens inside.
- Knead you dough again for 10-15 minutes and cut into two loaves. Place each loaf into a Dutch oven, score the bread with a knife and then put the lid on. Transfer to the oven and bake at 420F for 50 minutes. You can remove lid for another 3 minutes if you like a crunchier crust. Enjoy!
- When I ran out of Spelt flour, I simply used a total of 725g of unbleached flour and it turned out just as beautifully.
- Also, I tried this recipe to make 1 large loaf instead of two smaller ones and it was gorgeous!