Good Old fashioned Molasses Bread
1 cup warm water
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
3/4 cup Molasses
1 cup rolled oats (whole, not instant)
2 Tbsp. vegan butter
2 tsp. salt
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold water
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl dissolve sugar in 1 cup of warm water and sprinkle over the yeast. Leave for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix molasses, rolled oats, butter and salt.
- Add the 1 cup boiling water, whisk, and whisk in the 1 cup cold water.
Stir in yeast mixture.
- Add flour gradually and place dough onto a floured surface to knead.
- Cut dough in half and place in two large bread pans that have been well greased or lined with parchment paper.
- Cover each plan with a dishtowel and set it in a warm place to rise until almost double in size (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Remove dishtowels and bake at 325 F for about an hour
Allow bread to cool at least five minutes before removing it from pans to finish cooling.