Red Lentil and Pepper Sauce Served on Spaghetti Squash
Write a review
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery - chopped
- 2 medium red peppers deseeded and chopped (although any colour bell peppers that aren't green will work)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley - chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil - chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise
- Scoop out the seeds and either discard, or save them for roasting
- Place the squash cut side down, in a lightly oiled baking dish or cookie sheet
- Cover the squash with a sheet of aluminum foil to keep any steam from escaping (optional)
- Bake the squash for 30 to 45 minutes or until tender enough to easily pierce with a fork
- Cook time will vary depending on the size of squash
- Using a fork, rake the inside of the squash to gently pull the flesh from the peel and to separate into strands.
- Toss with a little butter or olive oil and set aside.
- NOTE: You will want to start your sauce either before, or while the squash is baking.
- Saute the onion, celery and pepper in oil in a large saucepan for about 8 minutes, or until the onions become transluscent.
- Add the garlic, parsley, basil, parsley, tomatoes, lentils, tomato paste and water.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat to simmer gently for at least 20 mins or until sauce is thick and the lentils are tender. time will vary dramatically depending on the quality of the lentils.
- Season with salt and pepper
Sweet Vegan https://sweetvegan.net/