Vegan Mushroom, Parsnip and Walnut Sausage Rolls
1 medium leek, trimmed, rinsed and sliced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 large parsnip, peeled and diced
450 grams (6 cups) of mixed mushrooms of your choice (cremini, button, portobello, chestnut etc), chopped
2/3 cup walnuts, chopped small
2 teaspoons dried or fresh parsley, chopped fine
2 Tablespoons soy aminos, Tamari or soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive oil or vegetable broth for sauteing
Sesame seeds for garnish *optional
Honey mustard dipping sauce *optional
1 sheet puff pastry
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil (or 2 Tablespoons vegetable broth) in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add leeks and garlic and saute until the onions begin to become translucent and tender
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook until they are tender and browned, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Add soy aminos or Tamari, nutritional yeast, and parsley and cook for another minute or two, until the liquid has completely reduced, then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Unroll the puff pastry on a clean and lightly floured surface.
- Cut in half lengthwise, to create two long rectangles of pastry
- Divide the mushroom filling between the two rectangles and spoon in a long even line, the length of the pastry.
- moisten the edges lengthwise with a bit of water to help the edges stick better once rolled.
- Lift the long side of the pastry and tuck around the filling.
- Roll the dough to create one long roll filled with mushrooms and repeat with the second half.
- Slice the rolls into 2-bite (ish) pieces and arrange them on the parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving space between them to expand.
- Brush each roll with plant-based milk, olive oil, or melted vegan butter, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake until golden brown, approx 20 minutes.
- Serve alone or with dipping sauce