Vegan Jalapeño Poppers
Write a review
- 8 fresh whole jalapeño peppers
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours (preferably overnight) and drained
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt or seasoning (I used Spike) to taste
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash jalapenos. Slice in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds and whites from inside.
- Brush the outside lightly with a little bit of olive oil.
- Lay on a non-stick cookie sheet or baking pan and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat, and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook until just softened and fragrant. The onions should be starting to become translucent.
- Remove from heat and combine with soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, cumin, salt or seasoning, and water (or broth) in a blender or food processor and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Spoon or pipe the cashew mixture generously into the jalapenos.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the jalapenos are soft.
- Place the pan on the top rack and broil for the last minute or two to give the poppers a toasty brown top. If you are using bread crumbs or crushed tortilla chips as a crunchy garnish, sprinkle them on now, before broiling the tops, and watch closely to make sure they don't burn.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Sweet Vegan https://sweetvegan.net/