Vegan Eggs Benedict
Although I've never really been a fan of eggs, one of the things I miss since becoming a vegan, is Eggs Benedict. I searched through many blogs and recipe books and finally found a combination of two that I could make out of things I had on hand, without having to make a trip to go buy special ingredients. I took the "egg" part of the recipe from Peta's website, and the hollandaise recipe, which I tweaked just a tiny little bit, from Veg News. And here's what happened:
Write a review
- Hollandaise Sauce
- Vegan "Eggs"
- Bagels or English Muffins
- Veggie Ham or Bacon
- Chives or Parsley for Garnish
- 1/4 cup Vegan Butter (The original recipe on Veg news called for coconut oil but I found it flavourless and missing that salty buttery taste that makes Hollandaise taste as rich and decadent as it should )
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour (I tried the recipe twice, once with rice flour and once with all purpose wheat flour. Both worked equally as well.)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt Vegan Butter, add brown rice flour, and turmeric and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cook until a sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir until smooth, then lower heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and stir in nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, and salt generously.
The "Eggs" and "Bacon"
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, cut into 6 1/4-inch-thick slabs
- 3 Tbsp. unbleached white flour
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Pinch of turmeric
- Garlic powder, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- Using a jar or ring mold, cut the slabs of tofu into circles at whatever thickness you desire.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Dredge the tofu in the flour mixture and shake off any excess.
- In a medium pan, heat the oil over high heat. Fry each side of the tofu rounds until golden. Remove and place on paper towels to drain.
- In the same pan, cook the faux ham or bacon for 1 to 2 minutes on each side and set aside.
- Toast the English muffins or Bagels and spread lightly with vegan margarine. Top each half with one tofu round and one slice of the faux bacon or ham.
- Spoon the Vegan Hollandaise Sauce on top. Sprinkle with chopped chives or parsley and serve immediately.
Sweet Vegan https://sweetvegan.net/