Banana Split CupcakesCourse: Vegan Baking, Vegan Cupcakes
I found this recipe in Isa Chandra’s Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. These ones are extra fun because you can have everybody load their own up with whatever their favourite banana split toppings are.
1/2 cup fruit preserves (typically pineapple but my daughter is allergic so I used mango. I imagine strawberry or kiwi would be pretty tasty too)
1/2 cup very ripe banana mashed well.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup rice or other plant based milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with paper muffin cups
- Stir fruit preserves in a small saucepan over low heat until “melted” and easy to pour. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Push mashed bananas through a sieve or blend a few seconds to get rid of any lumps. It should be smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in a a large bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, rice milk, vanilla extract and almond extract, and mashed banana.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and fold in wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with the batter.
- Top each one with 1 tsp melted fruit preserve and 1 tsp chopped chocolate.
- With a knife, carefully and gently swirl the chocolate and fruit into each cupcake. Just a couple of turns with the knife.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until a knife inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Top each cooled cupcake with frosting or whipped cream, and the drizzled chocolate, more of the fruit preserve, candy sprinkles, nuts, grated chocolate, and/or fruit syrup of your choice and enjoy!