Ratatouille and Sausages
This hearty country dish is from the Provence region of France, near the Mediterranean Sea. Ratatouille is a chunky vegetable stew that is perfect at the end of summer, when the vegetables are in season but the weather is cooling down.
Write a review
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or red wine
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup mushroom quartered
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- 1 cup eggplant cubed
- 1 cup bell pepper (yellow or orange) cubed
- 2 cups tomatoes diced (and all their juices)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 small handful of fresh basil (remove the leaves and separate from the stalks, but keep both)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 6 vegan sausages of your choice
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large casserole pan over a medium heat, add the chopped eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and peppers and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until golden and slightly tender but not cooked. Toss this vegetable mix into a bowl and set aside.
- To the pan, add the onion, garlic, basil stalks and thyme leaves with another drizzle of oil, if needed. Sauté at least 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender and golden.
- Return the cooked vegetables to the pan and stir in the tomatoes and oregano, the balsamic or wine and a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Mix well and cover the pan and simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the sausages, cover again and simmer for about 20 more minutes.
- Tear in the basil leaves, finely grate in the lemon zest and adjust the seasoning, if needed. Serve with bread, couscous or steamed rice.
Sweet Vegan https://sweetvegan.net/