Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake
A moist sweet and spicy sugar skull cake inspired by Mexican Hot Chocolate.
Write a review
- - 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- - 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- - 1 teaspoon baking soda
- - 1/4 teaspoon dry chipotle powder
- - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- - 3/4 cup sugar
- - 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- - 1 cup cold water water
- - 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- - 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Vegan shortening
- 1/4 cup Vegan butter
- 3 Cups Powdered sugar
- 1 Disk of Mexican stone ground chipotle chocolate *see notes below
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, chipotle powder, sugar and salt.
- In a large measuring jug, mix together all liquid ingredients except for the vinegar.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Add the vinegar and stir until even distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour into a lightly greased and floured baking pan
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a knife or toothpick come out clean when the cake is pricked.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool at least 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Melt shortening, butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler.
- Add Sugar (and chipotle if using) just a couple tablespoons at a time, whisking constantly until desired consistency is reached. If it's too dry, add a splash of non-dairy milk. If it's too wet, add more powdered sugar.
- * This is the one I used, but if you can't find any, you can use either 1 disk of regular Mexican chocolate or about 1.5 oz or 40 grams of dark chocolate + 1/4 teaspoon of dry chipotle powder.
- ** To decorate I cut the cake into the shape of a sugar skull and used a stencil and sifted powdered sugar over it.
Sweet Vegan https://sweetvegan.net/