Greek Style Elephant (Giant) Beans
A traditional Greek dish that happens to be vegan, packed with protein, and absolutely delicious!
Write a review
- 16 oz. elephant beans (or sub in cannellini beans)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes or 16 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 cups water (or more if needed)
- Vegan feta for garnish (optional)
- I pre-cook my beans in the instant pot but if using dry beans, let sit overnight in a pot with water covering (covered). The following day, boil beans for 1 hour until you can stick them with a fork. Drain and set aside in a large glass baking dish or Dutch Oven– as this is the pot you’ll bake them in later.
- Chop onions and garlic and set aside.
- Heat oil to a large sauté pan on medium for about 3 minutes, then add chopped onion and sauté for another 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic and salt, pepper for a minute, lower the flame slightly
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chopped carrots, parsley and the bay leaf and continue to sauté. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for another 8-10 minutes.
- Pour your sauce over the beans in the dish you are baking them in, Mix well and pour water (enough to cover the beans and then some) over the beans.
- Cover with a lid or tin foil and bake for 1 hour in a pre-heated oven at 425f degrees.
- When cooked, you should see a little crust forming around the edges of your dish and the water should be absorbed.
- Garnish with vegan feta, serve and enjoy!
Sweet Vegan https://sweetvegan.net/