Vegan Victoria Sponge Cake
I didn't have to work on Victoria Day so I thought I'd celebrate by making something tasty to celebrate. I tried many recipes many times and finally (4 or 5 pounds later...) found a combination that worked perfectly!
Write a review
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 Cup icing sugar (set aside a Tablespoon or two of it for dusting)
- 1/2 Cup dairy-free margarine
- 1/2 fresh raspberries
- 4-5 tablespoons raspberry jam
- icing sugar, to dust
- a handful of fresh raspberries
- a sprinkle of lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF
- In a large bowl, beat the caster sugar, margarine, vanilla and lemon zest until creamy. Add all other cake ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Pour the cake mixture into a baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean when poked in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the tin.
- While the cake is cooling, sift the icing sugar into a large bowl. Add the margarine and beat until smooth. If it’s a little thick, add a splash of non-dairy milk to loosen it.
- Once cooled, place one of the sponges on a plate or cake stand.
- Carefully spread the butter icing on top and scatter over most of the raspberries.
- Spread the jam onto the second cake and place, jam side down, on top of the iced sponge, pressing down slightly.
- Dust the top of the cake with a little icing sugar and decorate with a few raspberries and a pinch of lemon zest.
- I found the recipe for the sponge cake here: http://www.veggieful.com/2015/01/vegan-birthday-sponge-cake.html
- And that for the filling here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/vegan-victoria-sponge
Sweet Vegan http://sweetvegan.net/