These babycakes are so simple to make, with a simple mixture of vegan butter, brown sugar and pineapple, baked under a vanilla cupcake base that I found in Isa Chandra’s Vegan Cupcakes take over the world.
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Vegan Butter (I use Earth Balance)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 medium pineapple (peeled, quartered, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick)
Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Continue cooking, without stirring, for a few more minutes or until bubbles just start to appear around the outside edges of the mixture (the sugar starts to caramelize). Then remove from heat, and pour into the cups of your muffin tin. Evenly arrange the fresh pineapple slices on top of the sugar mixture.
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
¾ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
¾ cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.
3. Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
4. In a separate large bowl, use a hand-held mixer at medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. (Don’t beat past 2 minutes.) Beat in the vanilla and other extract, then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.
6. Pour cake batter into cups of muffin tin, over the pineapple pieces. Bake 20-25 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and a knife or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a cupcake. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely before serving. These cakes test best when chilled before eating.