Vegan Frogmore Stew or Lowcountry Boil
A mouthwatering, spicy, one-pot meal of corn on the cob, new potatoes, veg and vegan sausage.
Write a review
- 1 or bottles of beer
- 5 quarts water
- 1/4 cup Lowcountry boil seasoning (see recipe below)
- 4 pounds small red or fingerling potatoes
- 1/2 cup of preferred seafood seasoning
- 4 ears of fresh corn, shucked, silk removed and broken into 2- or 3-inch pieces
- 8 Patty Pans (or other squash of choice)
- 8 Japanese Turnips (optional)
- 10 Spears of Asparagus (or other veg of choice. I imagine Okra would go well if you're a fan)
- 1 package smoked or Kielbasa vegan sausage, cut into one-inch pieces, browned and then drained on paper towels
- Hot sauce to taste
Lowcountry boil seasoning
- 2 tablespoons bay leaf powder
- 2 tablespoons celery salt (or 1 tbls. ground celery seed and 1 tbls. salt)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika (smoked paprika is even better if you can find it!)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine thoroughly in a food processor and store in sealed container.
- The key here to keep in mind, is approximately how long each ingredient takes to cook, and to time each addition accordingly. I've estimated loosely and this worked for ours but you might need to play around with it, depending on the ingredients you choose to include.
- Bring 5 quarts water and 1/4 cup of the pre-prepared seasoning to a rolling boil in a large covered stockpot.
- Add beer and potatoes; return to a boil, and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Add vegan sausage, tomatoes, turnip and squash and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add corn, and return to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add asparagus and cook 2 more minutes.
- Drain and turn out onto a surface covered with newspaper, brown paper, or several layers of paper towels.
- Serve with cocktail sauce or hot sauce and thick, crusty bread, or dinner rolls.
Sweet Vegan http://sweetvegan.net/