Sourdough Irish Soda Bread
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup cold vegan butter
1 cup currants or raisins
1 Tbsp grated orange zest
1 cup vegan Butter Milk or Kefir or 1 Cup plant based milk + 1 tbsp white vinega)
1 cup mature sourdough starter
- Preheat oven to 375˚F
- Sift together dry ingredients
- cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two butter knives until the mixture looks like coarse bread crumbs
- add currents and orange zest
- In another bowl, dissolve sourdough starter into the butter milk
- Add wet ingredients to dry and fold with a wooden spoon until it starts to come together as a shaggy dough.
- Turn out onto a piece of parchment paper and knead just a few times, until it starts to come together enough to form into a round loaf.
- Place loaf (and parchment) on a baking sheet and cut an X in the top to let the fairies out.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until the crust is golden brown and a knife can be inserted in the middle and comes out clean.