Love compotes. They are so versatile and can be eaten with both sweet and savoury foods from ice cream to parfaits, pound cakes, biscuits, veggie burgers, tofu, "cheeses" etc...
Rhubarb is in season at the moment so that's what we're using and it gives that perfect tart little kick to keep the compote from being too sweet, and the colour is brilliant.
- 8-18 small-medium stalks of rhubarb, washed, ends trimmed, and cut 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 1/2-3 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 piece (1/2-1 inch) fresh peeled ginger, finely grated or 1 teaspoon ginger juice
- Place rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan (off heat); stir and let stand until rhubarb releases some liquid, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place on heat and allow rhubarb mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the rhubarb has broken down, at least 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place ginger in a fine-mesh sieve set over a small bowl. Press down firmly with a spoon until juices are released. Stir ginger juice into rhubarb mixture.
- Let sauce cool completely before serving.
Sweet Vegan http://sweetvegan.net/