Nopalitos Fritos - Cactus Fries
Write a review
- 3-4 fresh cactus (Nopales) paddles
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp powdered chipotle
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Equivilent of 2 egg whites (I used EnerG but Flax or Chia gel would probably work also)
- 3⁄4 cup ice water
- Vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- Rince and thoroughly remove thorns and “eyes” from cactus, and trim off the edges of pads.
- Blanch paddles for 2 minutes in a covered pan with enough boiling salted water to cover; drain and allow to cool until comfortable enough to handle.
- Cut cactus into thin strips similar to French fries, and set aside.
- Prepare egg replacer and beat until stiff, then set aside
- Combine dry ingredients well.
- Fold egg replacer into the flour mixture, alternating with enough ice water to make batter the consistency of unbeaten egg white. Place in the refrigerator to chill at least 10 minutes.
- Dredge cactus strips in batter, and fry in deep hot oil until crisp and golden.
- Drain well, serve and enjoy!
Sweet Vegan http://sweetvegan.net/