Mac & Cheese
This recipe is from Dr Michael Greger’s How Not Die Cookbook. I will be 100% honest, I was not at all expecting to like it. I was prepared to be disappointed. I freaking love it so much. SO MUCH!
3 cups vegetable
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped carrot or butternut squash
8 ounces whole grain macaroni noodles ( I used a mix)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 Tablespoons Almond butter
2 Tablespoons blended peeled lemon (I used 2 teaspoons lemon juice)
2 teaspoons white miso
1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon turmeric (fresh grated or dried ground)
1 tsp savoury spice blend
1 cup steamed chopped greens or small broccoli florets
1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- In a large saucepan heat 1 cup of vegetable broth over medium-high heat. Add the onion garlic and carrot or squash. Cover and cook until the vegetables are very soft.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions, until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F
- In a high-speed blender, combine the cooked vegetables, the remaining 2 cups of broth, the nutritional yeast, almond butter, lemon, miso, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon of the paprika, the turmeric and savoury spice blend. Blend until very smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Combine the sauce with the macaroni noodles, stirring gently to combine. Stir in the cooked greens or broccoli. Transfer to a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and remaining g paprika. Bake until hot and golden on top, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
- My only note is that you need to pay very close attention to the measurements and directions. I tried a version just kind of winging it and it did not turn out at all the same. The original version is crazy delicious so do yourself a favour and follow the quantity and instructions closely.