César Chávez was born on March 31, 1927 – Which makes today his birthday.
I was going to make him a birthday cake to celebrate but when I started searching ideas for Mexican cakes, I came across a few articles that stated that his mother used to make him spicy burritos because it was his absolute favourite food. So I made Happy Birthday César Chávez – Spicy Bean Burritos instead.
Spicy Bean Buritto
"Kindness and compassion towards all living things is a mark of a civilized society. Conversely, cruelty, whether it is directed against human beings or against animals, is not the exclusive province of any one culture or community of people." Cesar Chavez
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 111
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrates 77g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 handfull fresh cilantro, chopped
- A pinch or two of salt or seasoning (I use Spike) to taste
- 1/3 cup water or vegetable broth
- The juice of 1 small lime (or 1/2 a large)
- 4 12" tortillas
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion until it is soft and starts to become translucent.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, jalapeño peppers, cumin, salt and stir, cooking just until fragrant, (about a minute). Add the beans and the water or broth to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add cilantro. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 10-20 minutes, while stirring and mashing the beans gently with a spoon or fork, to a desired consistancy. I like to keep some of the beans intact for texture but some people prefer them almost pureed.
- Add lime juice mix in well.
- Spoon the bean mixture into the center of each tortilla. Top each serving with the extras (
- Iceburg lettuce, cooked rice, chopped fresh tomatoes or bell peppers, avocado, vegan cheese, fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime etc...) of your choice, and roll the tortilla up tightly.
- Serve alone, or with guacamole, salsa and/or vegan sour cream
Sweet Vegan http://sweetvegan.net/