Vegan Gam Chowder
Nautical. (of the officers and crews of two whaling vessels) to visit or converse with one another for social purposes.
Eastern New England. to participate in a gam or social visit.
1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours or boiled for 15 minutes
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup plant milk (I used oat milk because it’s nice and thick but doesn’t have a strong or detectible smell.
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced medium
2 medium carrots, peeled, sliced into half moons
3 stalks celery, sliced
4 oz shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 oz oyster mushrooms sliced
4 oz white button mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
2 teaspoons kelp granules or dulse flakes or 2 nori sheets, finely chopped (see note above)
3/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
Fresh black pepper
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Drain the cashews and add them to the blender along with the plant milk, vegetable broth and cornstarch. Blend until smooth.
- Saute onion and carrots in the olive oil for about 10 minutes, until carrots are just softened.
- Add mushrooms and celery. Cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, nori and vegetable broth.
- Cover, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add wine (if using) and continue to cook for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the cashew cream mixture, and continue to cook on low heat, 10 minutes, adding a little extra water if it seems too thick. .
- Add the lemon juice and taste for salt and seasoning.
- Serve with saltine or oyster crackers and enjoy!