Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a rhizomatous herbaceous perennial flowering plant of the ginger family, Zingiberaceae, native to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia.
It is believed to have many health benefits due to its medicinal and anti-inflammatory properties and anticancer effects. It has been linked to the successful treatment of a variety of inflammatory conditions, such as lupus, osteoporosis arthritis and Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- 1 large ripe banana, previously peeled, sliced and frozen (more for a sweeter smoothie)
- 1 cup (140 g) frozen or fresh pineapple
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger (1 small knob, peeled)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric (or sub cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) carrot juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (~1/2 small lemon)
- 3/4 cup (240 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- To the blender add smoothie ingredients and blend on high until creamy and smooth. Add more carrot juice or almond milk if it has trouble blending. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding more banana or pineapple for sweetness, lemon for acidity, ginger for bite, and turmeric for warmth.
- Divide between two glasses and serve. Best when fresh.