This recipe makes about 4 cups of antipasto so it’s great for a party or if you want extras to share with friends or family. I have suggested an assortment of pickled vegetables but I just used what I had on hand. You can use whichever ones you like; Asparagus, green beans and eggplant would probably all be really tasty too.
1 cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
2 large carrots, sliced
2 celery ribs chopped
1/2 pound fresh button mushrooms
1/2 cup pepperoncini (pickled green peppers) drained and chopped (if you like spicy)
1 can pitted black olives, drained
1 cup pimiento stuffed Spanish olives, drained and sliced
1/2 cup pickled onions
1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup apple cider or herbed white wine vinegar
- Place all of the prepared and drained vegetables/pickles/olives in a bowl and set aside
- In a large saucepan, whisk together ketchup, Worcestershire, horseradish, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, salt and lemon juice, over medium heat until simmering gently.
- Blanch the cauliflower for about 2 minutes in a large pot of salted boiling water.
With a slotted spoon, remove the cauliflower from the water and set aside to cool.
- In the same water, do the same with the carrots, and then with the celery. You want them to be slightly tender but not soft or mushy.
- Once the cauliflower, carrots and celery are done, add the white wine vinegar to the water and blanch the button mushrooms for 1-2 minutes . Drain and spread the mushrooms on a paper towel to cool.
- Add all the ingredients to the sauce and mix gently until everything is evenly coated. Set aside until cool enough to refrigerate. Chill before serving. Eat on bread, crostini or crackers.