Black Bean Sweet Potato Burritos
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Jalapeño peppers, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 handfull fresh cilantro, chopped
A pinch or two of salt or seasoning (I use Spike) to taste
1/3 cup water or vegetable broth
The juice of 1 small lime (or 1/2 a large)
4 12″ flour tortillas
1 heaping cup sweet potato (peeled and diced)
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
1 cup fresh or frozen kale, chopped
1 1/4 cup vegan queso *optional
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Saute onion and sweet potato until it sweet potato is soft.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, jalapeño peppers, cumin, salt and stir, cooking just until fragrant, (about a minute).
- Add the beans, kale and the water or broth to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add cilantro. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 10-20 minutes, while stirring and mashing the beans gently with a spoon or fork, to a desired consistancy. I like to keep some of the beans intact for texture but some people prefer them almost pureed.
- Add 1/4 cup of the Queso and mix in well.
- Spoon the bean mixture into the center of each tortilla and roll the tortilla up tightly.
- *Optional step – this is an enchilada move but I love it so I do it to my poor innocent and unsuspecting burritos. Place burritos in a lightly oiled or non-stick baking dish, smother with remaining queso and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon the bean mixture into the center of each tortilla. Top each serving with the extras (
Iceburg lettuce, cooked rice, chopped fresh tomatoes or bell peppers, avocado, vegan cheese, fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime etc…) of your choice, and roll the tortilla up tightly.
Serve alone, or with guacamole, salsa and/or vegan sour cream